Thursday, December 19, 2013

Thursday Birth Day: Maddox's Birth

Welcome to Thursday Birth Day!  My hope is that this series will help to encourage women who may be expecting their first baby or their second/third/fourth/etc.  These posts will provide some real life experiences that we can all appreciate and maybe even learn from.  I also hope for this to be a place where women who have gone through birth can have a place to share their beautiful stories. 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 
Baby Maddox's Birth Story
 
I woke up around 3am with what I thought was an upset stomach. I hadn't had any Braxton Hicks so had no idea what to look for with contractions. I decided to lay down for a little and then had the crazy idea that they may be contractions. I started timing them and they were 3 minutes apart. I told Brian I was going to go downstairs to eat and call my mom to start driving. Brian got up around 6am and was going to go to some jobs before we needed to go to the hospital. I told him it was probably not a good idea to leave.
My mom arrived around 7am and I just walked around the house, rocked in the rocking chair and ate some more. I finally decided at 9:30am that we should head to the hospital. I walked myself in while Brian parked and told them I thought I was in labor. They all looked at me like I was nuts and took me upstairs to triage to be checked. By that time, all the family knew and was headed to the hospital.
I sat in triage for an hour being monitored before anyone checked me. She said I was at  7 centimeters!!! I was shocked. So far I was just rocking side to side during contractions and it didn't seem bad. I wanted to deliver unmedicated but being in a hospital I had to have a dry IV in my forearm. I finally got moved to a labor room around 11:30am. My doctor checked me around 12:15pm and said I was 9 centimeters. 
She asked if I wanted my water broken or to wait it out. We talked about it and since I was doing so well with the pain, decided to have it broken. The pain got really intense and in 35 minutes it was time for me to push! I pushed for 25 minutes and right when I thought I couldn't do it anymore, the next push out he came. My sweet little boy, Maddox Thomas Martin, arrived on August 22, 2012 at 1:05pm weighing 8.4lbs and 21 inches long! 

No comments:

Post a Comment