Monday, February 24, 2014

Mommy Thoughts

Just some thoughts on life and the progression of things as parents....

This first twenty years of our lives are pretty much all about us.  We are born to parents who feed and clothe us, let us live in their houses, love us, etc.  This segment is all about having fun and not having to worry about anyone else except for ourselves.  During our first twenty or so years some of us will meet "the one" and settle down, some of us will go to college (and hopefully graduate), go on trips out of the country, start working, and some of us will even have children. 
The second twenty+ years, especially if you have children is all about them.  We spend these years working for someone else, cleaning up after other people, feeding kids/spouses, and for the most part putting others needs in front of our own.  As parents we have a desire to give our kids what they need and want and put our desires on the back burner.  We also have a tendency to forget that this time will pass all too quickly and let the little things get to us.  

In the grand scheme of things, twenty  years is not very long at all but in the moment it can feel like forever. I know that I let insignificant things get under my skin and I get frustrated with my kids for things that won't matter an year day hour from now.  I love this saying:
The days are long but the years are short.
It is so true and I tell myself this a lot on days that Everett and I are butting heads.  I only have twenty years with them before  they "grow up" and leave the nest.  I want to make every day count, even the days that are "crappy" because before I realize it they will be graduating and off on their own.  We are only given today and I will do my best to ensure that today is great. 

No comments:

Post a Comment