Wednesday, February 20, 2013

To have or not have a birth plan...

All the junk I was
hooked up to!
When I was pregnant with Everett I did not really have any grand expectations for his birth.  I figured that it would be fine and that the doctors would do what they were supposed to and everything would be hunky dory.  I didn't think that having a well thought out and typed up birth plan was necessary, I didn't want to be "that" mom at Labor and Delivery.  You know the one who is high maintenance and wants to be "in charge" of everything that was going on.  

Little did I know that I would regret not having a birth plan. Everett's birth did not go as "hunky dory" as I had hoped and it was partially because I had not prepared myself for what to expect. You can read Everett's birth story here.  Amie from Casa Campbell put it perfectly when she said, "Many patients don't know that they have options, and more importantly, rights when it comes to deciding medical treatment. Your first step in having the birth you want, is to be informed of your rights as a patient."  I encourage you to read her entire post here.  

This time around I am doing things quite differently and will be much more involved with how everything goes with Flubber's birth. I will definitely be having a typed up and printed out birth plan that includes a lot of details that may or may not come up during his birth.  I would much rather be over prepared this time.  I really like how Amie typed up her birth plan to include different sections and I think that this is something that I will do as well. I have selected an obstetrician that is very supportive of patient choices. I have spoken with her about my desire to not have an induction and she is supportive of that decision.  
All strapped up... 
We are also planning on having a doula present at this birth. A doula is a "nonmedical person who assists a woman before, during, or after childbirth, as well as her partner and/or family by providing information, physical assistance, and emotional support."  Tyler and I decided that having a doula present at Flubber's birth would be beneficial not only to me but for Tyler as well.  Tyler's first reaction when I am in pain is to fix it or make the pain stop, which is not exactly possible when it comes to child birth.  Our doula will be able to help me with relaxation techniques and this will allow Tyler to be supportive without feeling like he needs to fix the pain. 
 
It was worth it in the end.. (Everett on his birth day)
I am actually (in a weird way) looking forward to this birth. I know that there will be pain involved but in the end I will have another beautiful son and I just can't wait to meet him! 

No comments:

Post a Comment