Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Pinterest Recipe... Caprese Dip Fail!

While perusing around Pinterest the other day I saw (what I thought was) the coolest idea for a caprese dip.  Basically, you take all the ingredients for caprese salad, chop them up, put them in an oven safe dish, and heat them in the oven until the cheese melts. Sounds easy and delish right?
So here is what the concoction looked liked prior to putting it in the oven... I was really excited about this! I put it in a 350 degree oven and checked on it and stirred it every five to seven minutes.  The one thing that I was really surprised about was all of the extra liquid that appeared as it was cooking.  I had to drain it two or more times as the liquid wouldn't stir in. Weird. 
Here's what it looked like after it was all melted and combined.  Now this wouldn't be a complete fail if you were able to consume all of the dip in about two minutes.. otherwise it gets HARD.  Like, I could have sliced it and put it on the bread slices. Grrrr so frustrating.  It still tasted delicious however I really was hoping for that nice ooey gooey dip that I was promised! :)  

I have been brainstorming about this and I think that the only way to keep that consistency would be to keep it continually heated, maybe in a crock pot or on the stove top on low- then you run into the possibility of the cheese burning.  Have any of you tried this? 

No comments:

Post a Comment