Friday, August 31, 2012

Day to Day to Day

So this past week I have been trying really hard to get back into the swing of things around the house.  I have set up a "schedule" of sorts for the morning and evening which helps guide me throughout the day.  I know this isn't super fun or exciting to you reading this but it is nice for me to have some consistency back in my days. 

I set my alarm for the same time every morning, which is usually about an hour before Everett wakes up.  Ideally he would sleep for another two hours but it really just depends on how well he slept throughout the night.  This one to two hour time in the morning is when I get most of my "housework" done- folding laundry, sweeping, etc. I am also trying to incorporate my daily scripture reading into this time slot as well, I need to set a reminder!  

When Everett wakes up we snuggle for a few minutes and then I take him to the potty. After he goes potty and I get a new diaper on him I usually will put him in his highchair and get him some breakfast.  At this point, if my post for the day is ready, I will get on my laptop and publish my daily blog post (sitting right next to E of course, don't want him to choke on his eggs!) After breakfast we usually go about our day playing, running errands, eating lunch and snacks, playing some more, running, chasing, laughing, crying, etc. 

Everett has pretty much narrowed his napping down to once a day which is actually fine with me because he is sleeping really well at night (usually) and sleeps in late in the morning. I usually use his nap time for one of three things: 1.) Nap Time Craft Time, 2.) Any extra housework that needs to get done (to include meal preparation), or 3.) Work.  Yes work!  I work a few hours a week for my dad doing research. 

Tyler is usually home by the time Everett wakes up from his nap so we spend the late afternoons hanging out together and eating dinner as a family. 7:30pm is bath time for the little mister.  I try to let him play and hang out in the tub for as long as he wants (which is only about 15 minutes right now).  After bath time, he is prepped for bed with lotion, a clean diaper, and jammies. I have learned that Everett needs the room to be as dark as possible, he needs to have two pacis (my mother in law actually figured out this one), the sound machine needs to be on, and he likes to hear me sing.  For those of you have heard me sing, I am sorry. Seriously, I am completely tone deaf and have no rhythm.  I can't even clap in church because I am always off.  But I guess E didn't get the memo that Momma's voice could use some help so I sing and I sing and I sing.  He usually nurses for 10 minutes or so and then just lays there for another 10-20 minutes listening to me sing. 

I really need to compile a list of songs because this is the typical line up: 
  • The ABC song
  • Jesus Loves Me
  • Good Night Everett
  • Row Row Row Your Boat
  • Why Haven't I Heard From You (by Reba)
  • The ABC Song 
  • Blue Skies and Rainbows
  • Mary Had a Little Lamb
  • Red Solo Cup (Toby Keith) 
  • Jesus Loves Me 
  • John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt 
  • John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt 
  • John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt 
  • John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt 
  • John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt 
  • John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt 
  • John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt 
Ya, he loves that last one. So once he falls asleep I walk to the far side of the bed, crawl over our bed and lay him down in his crib (which is side car'd next to our bed with one rail taken off.)  Why do I crawl over the bed when I could simply lay him down in the crib, you ask!?  That would be far to simple. No, the creaking sound that the end of the bed always wakes him up. So instead, I have to use my ninja skills to lay him down and then quietly exit the room. (Chaunie from Tiny Blue Lines wrote a great post about this the other day- check it out!) After 5-10 minutes of him sleeping in the crib, and I know that he is good and asleep I then return to the bedroom to write out the post for the next day. (Hello from yesterday!) 

Sometimes he doesn't always go to bed as easily as others and sometimes he wakes up after he has already been asleep, but in general that's how our mornings and nights go!  For those of you with kids, what does your schedule look like? For those of you without kids, have I scared you enough to make you not want them anymore! :) 

1 comment:

  1. My day isn't nearly as fascinating as your is! Gabe still wakes up pretty early so he is our alarm clock. He likes to just hang out with his activity center in the morning so I have time to eat and have some coffee before he needs my full attention. We play and go for a walk, then he eats lunch and takes a nap. Housework and homework for school gets done during the first nap. The second nap of the day I nap with him (lucky me). Then he eats his dinner and plays with his toys in his high chair while I am cooking dinner for Chris. After family time, it's bathtime and a story before his bedtime bottle. I usually sing to him and rock him to sleep and ninja him into his crib. All mothers are ninjas!